Monday, October 11, 2010

Design From Without

Our world is vast, diverse, complicated, colorful, intricate, fascinating, brilliant, and full. When a designer/artist/creator ponders what to manifest and how to do it, those decisions are usually based on something outside oneself, something that exists separate from the designer in this abundant universe.

Think about how seemingly impossible it is to be original in this world.  In Terzidis’s critical article The Etymology of Design; Pre Socratic Perspective, he mentions a common assumption of pre socratic philosophers who believe “nothing comes out of nothing and nothing disappears into nothing.” Whether or not this statement is absolute truth or all inclusive,there are positive and negative influences everywhere, and there is no shame in drawing inspiration from those influences...from without.

I find that my best projects are such because they are inspired by others. Many times it is much easier for me to design and create for someone else than for myself. To decide what to create, I must let that persons aura consume me, I must pay attention to obvious things like the colors that remind me of their personalities and then progress towards more abstract thought. What do they need that they don’t already have? How can I improve something of theirs that is broken or mundane? Does their persona generally feel practical or whimsical? How can I surprise them?

Making or fixing things for others really knocks you into another world, analyzing that person and using those thoughts to inspire the design. 


This quilt was inspired by and given to a very close friend. The project happened because this persons character inspired me daily, and deserved something special. Then the question is, what to make? I chose a quilt after observing and experiencing a bedroom in dire need of color and excitement. At this step, other factors had influence as well. Sacramento’s climate is hot and miserable in the summer, but very cold in the winter. With this, I chose to use a thin and lightweight wool batting, perfect for both seasons.

Going to a fabric store to choose prints could turn into one of the most overwhelming tasks. The options seem endless. Inspired from without, I narrowed it down quick, instantly drawn to fabrics that had the right colors but also showed patterns that represented more. The triangles look like mountains, where he loves to climb. The little specks resemble leaves, he is a plant fanatic. The colorful streaks instantly make me think of a painting of his grandmothers.

The receiver inspires ideas, patterns, form, color, and purpose. Most importantly for me, the source of inspiration (in this case Eric) gives the production process meaning and importance. Some projects take days, hours which are spent sometimes with tedious, intricate detailing. Every stitch remindes me of the person, of how much they deserve the gift and how perfectly they will jive with a design unknowingly inspired by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment